Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A note on the weather

It's raining today, and cold.  On Friday I wore a sundress, it was a gorgeous day.  San Francisco has weather that changes at the drop of  a hat.  Last week I was out and about and the fog started to roll in over the hill, after a lovely day.  San Francisco has two seasons, rainy and not rainy.  Anything other than that is kind of a grab bag.  

When traveling in San Francisco, be prepared for nearly every kind of weather.  Seriously.  There is a reason that the hoodie is synonymous with San Francisco.  It's the right amount of warm for when it's sunny, but cool, also the hood will keep any errant raindrops off your face/head.

This is not to say that San Francisco is ALWAYS cold and gross.  Like I said, I was in a sundress, on the 15th of February, and I live near the coast.  San Francisco has weird micro-climates  as does the bay area in general.  In July, I can be visiting my Parents who live 30 miles south of San Francisco, it will be hot, sticky and really good swimming weather.  I then come home and it's about 20 degrees cooler and foggy.  On the western edge of the city, inland a little bit it's sunny and warm.

What I am getting at is that if you plan on traveling in San Francisco, wear layers.  It can be cold and foggy ten minutes away from an area that is sunny and ten degrees warmer.  I almost always have a light sweater with me.  In the summer it provides just enough warmth for the evening chill, and in the winter it is another layer under a coat.  It also is necessary if you plan on moving about the city, micro-climates can be sudden and unforgiving.

So plan ahead, bring a water bottle and layers, and you should be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment